"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." - Gandhi

Monday 15 August 2011

Not For Sale!


This is not something that is often discussed.  As a society, we tend to prefer the dark and dirty things to remain a secret; to remain someone else’s problem.  But, whether or not we acknowledge it, these things are our problem.  These “dark and dirty” things are a part of our world, whether or not you even know it.

I am talking about prostitution.  If you think it’s limited to the mean streets of downtown, or some out-of-the-way “red-light” district...you are sorely wrong.  Prostitution is the “massage parlour” nestled into the strip-mall, down the street from you.  It’s the brothel that runs out of the apartment two floors above you.  It’s on Craigslist, on Toronto tourism websites, in magazines and local newspapers.  It literally is everywhere.  Just because someone doesn’t see it, doesn’t mean it’s not there.

It is apparently a common perception among men that these women love their “job”.  But that’s the fantasy right?  Believing that these women desire them, and want to please them.  Fantasy is not reality.  I stand very firm in my belief that no healthy, well-adjusted woman would ever enter the sex industry on any level. 

Take away the girls who ran away from home and started “turning tricks” for cash, take away the girls who were found by pimps and now belong to them, take away the “street-walkers” who are so addicted to something they will offer themselves cheaply.  Take away the severely misguided youth who think a “rub and tug” is a quick way to earn cash because they don’t believe they can do anything else.  Then, take away those girls and young women who are brought here on boats and sold to pimps here in Toronto, or there in Calgary, or over there in Vancouver.  Take them away, and then show me who’s left...those healthy, well-adjusted women who love being a prostitute.  Go ahead.

We all think this kind of stuff is safely hidden away from us.  We tend to think we aren’t – or can’t be – impacted by prostitution.  20% of Canadian men, have admitted to paying for sex.  Out of that 20%, how many do you think had other sexual partners?  Or a spouse?  If you think you are in a faithful, committed relationship...do you use a condom?  A friend of mine who has been married for 30 years, contracted a sexually transmitted disease from her husband...who had been going to prostitutes for years – unbeknownst to her, obviously. 
There are so many reasons this issue should be dealt with, instead of being swept aside.   I hate that such acceptance of prostitution is so wide-spread, and that it is teaching our youth – both male and female, that a woman’s body can be rented by the hour.  Years ago, when I worked in downtown Toronto, I was driving home one day and pulled my car up to a red light.  I had my windows down and was minding my own business.  A man walked right up to my car, looked in my window, then asked me “how much?”  This is the mentality that needs to end.  How much?  As though every woman has her price? 

I should have run him down with my car...I’m not for sale.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110207/sex-workers-main-toronto-gta-110207/20110207/?hub=TorontoNewHome

No comments:

Post a Comment